From The Renovation of the Heart, by Dallas Willard, he cites:
The Process of Change: V.I.M. = VISION, INTENTION, and METHODS
1. GET HONEST: Find someone you trust; establish some accountability. Be frank about the struggle.
2. GET SMART: Avoid temptation. Flee temptation.
3. GET SATISFIED: Married couples need to have a regular, satisfying, sexual relationship.
4. GET VICTORY: It’s possible to walk in purity. Believe that.
5. GET CLEANSED: Remember Jesus’ body broken and His blood spilled to make you clean. Receive His cleansing. Do you hear me? Receive now His cleansing.
6. GET HUMBLE: Beg God for His power in your weakness. Seek His filling. Seek the things above.
1 Corinthians 6:18... "Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body."
James 4:7... "Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
God calls us to flee temptation, then resist the devil. We’re tempted to resist temptation and flee the devil. That doesn’t work, but following God’s strategy is powerful.
Sanctification = holy, pure, consecrated, set apart for God.
Signs of this process of being set apart for God:
1. This process has a beginning. Has that consecration to God begun in your life?
2. God initiates this process. It begins when the Holy Spirit enters your life. Can you see Him at work in your life?
3. It comes with a deep love for God and the things of God.
4. It causes us to hate sin, and to desire to be cleansed from all evil.
5. It moves us toward a balanced life, with self-control, directed by God Himself.
Fruits of being progressively molded into the likeness of Jesus:
1. We grow more grateful for God’s graces.
2. We grow more humble and God focused.
3. We grow less concerned with the torments and temptations of this world.
4. We grow more enraptured by the beauty of Christ.
Sermon in MP3 and PowerPoint slides in PDF at SermonAudio.