Monday, February 8, 2016

election, and elections

"...even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him."   (Ephesians 1:4 ESV)

We are in the midst of a national campaign to determine candidates for our upcoming presidential election.  I've been reflecting -- in light of Ephesians 1 and Romans 9 -- on the differences between the "election" of God and the "elections" of people.  As difficult as this truth of election may be to understand fully, there are a few things that are clear from the Scriptures: 

People elect people they deem worthy;
God elects the unworthy.

People elect people based upon merit;
God elects people based upon mercy. 

People make choices based on limited knowledge;  
God chooses in accordance with infinite wisdom.

Sometimes people choose others in an arbitrary way;  
God elects in accordance with his divine purpose and plan.  

People elect people to positions of power and license;
God elects people to be holy and blameless. 

When people elect people, pride is often the result; 
When God elects people, there is never room for pride.   

People elect people to special privileges;
God elects people to know and serve his beloved Son, Jesus. 

People elect others with a view to their own self-interest;  
God elects people to the praise of grace, glorious grace.  

Hear C. H. Spurgeon's words on the biblical doctrine of election:

"I believe the doctrine of election, because I am quite certain that, if God had not chosen me, I should never have chosen Him; and I am sure He chose me before I was born, or else He never would have chosen me afterwards; and He must have elected me for reasons unknown to me, for I never could find any reason in myself why He should have looked upon me with special love. So I am forced to accept that great Biblical doctrine."







No comments: