Wednesday, October 16, 2013

loving God with our mind

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And [Jesus] said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment." (Matthew 22:36-38 ESV)

"I will suggest that loving God with the mind means that our thinking is wholly engaged to do all it can to awaken and express the heartfelt fullness of treasuring God above all things. Treasuring God is the essence of loving him, and the mind serves this love by comprehending (imperfectly and partially, but truly) the truth and beauty and worth of the Treasure."  

(John Piper, Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God.)

2 comments:

Elaine said...

"...our thinking is wholly engaged to do all it can to awaken and express the heartfelt fullness of treasuring God above all things."
If this is what it means to love God with my mind, than this makes me an utter failure and tells me I probably won't be able to do this until everyone has left the house and I am alone. My mind seems to always be on where I have to take this child or scheduling the vehicles between all the drivers in the house, what's for dinner, when I'm supposed to be doing whatever...just all the things that go around in my wife/mom brain. Yes, I am frequently reminded to set my mind on things above but oh to be able to have days when I will be able to sit and study or meditate without a time limit or having to do something else.
How is a mom suppose to love God with ALL her heart, soul, and mind with the demands of life? Such a struggle!

Sandy said...

As a parent of two teens, I hear you! We need to note the phrase, "all we can..." Such ability to think unhindered is contingent on the time we actually have to think with. Excellence is a relative term -- relative to the time and energy available. Take heart, and use what time you do have!